The skin is the largest organ of your body and one of the most complex. Don’t be alarmed by this though, as learning the science behind your skin and how to take care of it well will do you wonders.
The first and most important step is to identify your skin type and understand its characteristics. This will bring you a step closer to finding just the products you need to enhance your skin’s glow!
There are five main skin types: normal, oily, dry, sensitive and combination. Here is a quick summary of the different skin types:
- Normal skin: Your skin neither feels dry nor oily, and your complexion appears balanced. You experience few skin concerns – you are not prone to many breakouts and may not react negatively to new products or the weather.
- Oily skin: Your skin is always glowing! Due to the production of excess sebum, your skin may constantly look shiny or feel greasy. You may also realise that your pores are enlarged which results in more frequent acne breakouts.
- Dry skin: The lack of oil in your skin causes your skin to feel tight and less elastic. If your skin feels rough and is flaky, it is a telltale sign of dry skin.
- Sensitive skin: As your skin is more vulnerable to external irritants, your skin may appear visibly red and dry. Your skin may sting after using new skincare products, and may also react negatively to artificial fragrances and colourants that may be used in these items.
- Combination skin: Is your skin dry in certain areas but oily in others? If this is the case, you most likely have combination skin. What’s most commonly experienced would be an oily T-Zone while the rest of your face seems balanced.
Still feeling confused and unable to identify your skin type? Give these simple tests a shot to determine your skin type! Your skin will love you after you start using the appropriate products that caters to your specific skin type. The result? Skin so healthy and radiant, it deserves a double take!
Method 1: Sit back and relax
You may be wondering, how will this help me identify the type of skin I have? Well, we know that life can be tiring at times and that you are perhaps unmotivated to go the extra mile. This method only requires you to wash your face with a cleanser and let time do its work! Follow our flowchart to discover your skin type:
Method 2: Using blotting sheets
This test is fairly easy and quick, and you will be able to determine your skin type almost instantly. Follow our flowchart to discover your skin type:
Discovering and understanding your skin type is really as simple as 1, 2, 3! With this quick overview on the main skin types and their characteristics, we hope that you are better able to take care of your skin with appropriate products. Stay tuned as we continue our Super Skincare Series where we dive deeper into each skin type so you can face the world with confidence.